Packing for four months might be the hardest task ever. I packed for three weeks tops when I went to London on a language travel with EF a few years ago - but that´s probably the nearest I´ve come to this. What am I going to wear?! How much should I bring with me, and what isn´t that necessary to bring? It´s definitely not easy to decide what I should bring, what I use on a regular basis and what I can buy when I arrive. But this post might just sum it up for me.
First off, I am studying for four months, August till December, which is four pretty chilly months. But since I am living in Berkeley, San Fransisco, the weather might also be a little hotter than a Norwegian autumn. Second off I am bringing two suitcases. One very big suitcase and a carry-on suitcase. My big suitcase is a Samsonite B-Lite worth 230$! My carry on I bought very cheap for 17$ and is a 55", and it looks exactly the same as my expensive suitcase, even being a generic brand. My top priorities is that my suitcases have four wheels, so that I can push them without a hassle, especially since I am flying a lot back and forth.
In my carry-on:
- Important papers: Visa, health insurance, passport, I-20 scheme etc.
- T-shirt, underwear and shorts in case of emergency
- Wallet and some cash just in case $$$
- Phone and phone charger
- Camera, memory card (32GB) and camera charger
- Macbook PRO and charger
- Citrus wipes (gotta be sanitary and hygienic, haha)
- Lots of chewing gum
- Travel pillow
In my main suitcase:
- 5 T-shirts
- 5 Sweaters
- 3 Jeans
- 2 Shorts
- 1 Yoga pant
- 3 Sweatpants
- Socks (2 weeks worth)
- Underwear (2 weeks worth)
- 1 Dress or something that suits formal occasions
- 1 bikini
- 2 Pajama sets
- 3 pairs of sneakers
- 1 pair of "formal" shoes
- Flip-Flops for shower
- 2 sports bras and 4 regular bras
- A lightweight jacket
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Makeup must-haves
- Hairbrush and ties
- Lymecyclin (I am on antibiotics for acne)
- Skincare and haircare (oils, moisturizers etc)
- Bobby pins
- Feminine hygiene products
- Textbooks for my classes (I already bought two, that I need to bring)
- Polaroid camera with an extra film
- Reusable shoppingbag
What I´ll buy when I arrive:
- Bedding (there is an arranged IKEA trip for I-House residents)
- Soap, shampoo and conditioner
- Towels is available at I-House, and I might also buy one there.
- Notebooks and pens
- Snacks and water (in case I need some quick snacks omw to my classes)
- I am planning on thrifting for a vintage Adidas jacket, so I won´t bring more than one with me.
So if I missed anything important, please tell me in the comments so I can edit it in to this post! This is mostly a reminder for myself and anyone who might need some inspiration for what to pack on a longer trip. I would probably bring the same if I studied abroad for two semesters as well, since I am washing my clothing regularly and probably buying something new as well!